The main flame retardant treatments formulated and applied by Fabric Flare for fabrics are ‘Duraflam®’ and ‘Duraflam-Duracote®’. The Formulations ‘Duraflam®’ and ‘Duraflam-Duracote®’ are a complex mix of ammonium polyphosphates, urea, polyphosphoric acid, organo-phosphate resins, binders, penetrators and an intumescent based retardant. The formulations are virtually colourless, non-corrosive and non-hygroscopic.
Duraflam® and Duraflam-Duracote® are durable fire resistant treatments and not easily reduced by external factors, such as wetting, leaching, or high humidity. The inherent strength of the treated material is not diminished by the treatment process. Every fabric is first treated with a ‘Duraflam®’ formulation and, if required, with a ‘Duracote®’ intumescent formulation for certain types of substrate. The ‘Duraflam-Duracote®’ system is especially effective with synthetic compositions and ‘plastic’ derivatives, such as vinyl’s, faux suede’s and acrylics.
- Treatment of ‘Duraflam®’ is via pad, clear back coat, or controlled pressure application.
- Depending on fabric type and fibre composition, further applications of ‘Duraflam®’ and/or ‘Duracote®’ may be necessary to achieve the required degree of flame retardancy.
- Treated products are cured in one of three bakers, depending on fabric type and width, with temperatures being lowered and increased, as required, to minimise shrinkage and distortion.
- The treatment and curing process is via intermittent heat cycles, with heat used as the catalyst for durable fixation.
- An indicative flammability assessment is conducted in our works laboratory, based on the test criteria set out in the relevant standard.
Although our certification is recognised by most fire prevention authorities, both in the UK and abroad, our in-house assessments of compliance are based on indicative tests which replicate, as far as possible, the criteria for conformity. Therefore, we recommend that treated samples are submitted to accredited laboratories, at preset intervals, for independent assessment. The combination of results ensures the continuing integrity of both treatment and certification.
Fabric Flare also formulates and applies Duraseal® Water and Soil Repellant for fabrics. The repellant is compatible with the ‘Duraflam®’ and ‘Duraflam-Duracote®’ system of flame retardancy.